Humans have 1% of water on the planet to work with and we’re not taking care of it. 1 in 2 hospital beds are occupied by men, women and children with waterborne diseases. The climate problem is a water problem. Without clean water, there can be no healthy life. How do we make this right? The Waterkeeper movement was started by a band of blue-collar fisherman on New York’s Hudson River in 1966. Their tough, hands-on, community-oriented brand of environmental activism sparked the River’s miraculous recovery and inspired other individuals and organizations to launch Waterkeepers from the Mississippi to the Amazon, the Tigris to the Ganges. 500 Waterways aims to continue growth of Waterkeepers worldwide to protect 500 waterways across the globe.
Your support will help:
• PATROL: Waterkeepers are the boots on the ground and the eyes on the water.
• EDUCATE: By shining a light on the importance rivers play to our communities, Waterkeepers encourage recreation and celebrate our waters.
• ENFORCE: Waterkeepers ensure laws are enforced and hold offenders accountable.
• SET STANDARDS: Swimmable, drinkable, fishable water worldwide.
• STRENGTHEN: Waterkeepers strengthen regulation where it exists, and create it when it does not.